Who was St. Patrick?
So, what about St. Patrick’s Day?
- The Shamrock: One of the main symbols of St. Patrick's Day, the shamrock, comes from the legend that St. Patrick taught the Irish about the Holy Trinity by creating a parable around the three-leafed shamrock. The shamrock was significant in pre-Christian Ireland as a symbol of rebirth and of the three major goddesses, Brigid, Eriu, and The Morrigan.
- Green: Speaking of shamrocks, another major theme around St. Patrick's Day is the color green. The original color associated with St. Patrick was actually blue. In fact, green was long considered to be unlucky: it was said to draw faeries, who would steal away people--especially children--who wore too much of it. Eventually, though, with the rise of the shamrock as a St. Patrick's symbol, green became the major color of St. Patrick and of Ireland in general.
- Snakes?: One of the major legends surrounding St. Patrick's Day is St. Patrick chasing the snakes out of Ireland. It's thought that the absence of snakes in Ireland led to this legend, but in fact, it's highly unlikely that snakes ever lived there in the first place. Still a fun story, though, if you're not super into reptiles.
- Guinness: Guinness is perhaps the most popular St. Patrick's drink. Actually, it turns out that Guinness is pretty popular all the time: it's estimated that on any given day, 5.5 million pints of Guinness are consumed around the world. On St. Patrick's day, however, that number more than doubles, topping the charts at an astounding 13 million pints worldwide.
St. Patrick's Day is one of the liveliest holidays of the year and the assortment of options can seem overwhelming. With so many parties around town, how could you possibly choose just one? Well, this is where we come in to save you. With barcrawls.com, you don't have to pick just one bar or party, you can enjoy all the top bars, getting your fill of green beer as you search for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Below, Joonbug.com has rounded up a list of the best St. Patricks's Day Weekend Bar Crawls in the city of Philadelphia!
The Mugs 'N Hugs mini-bar crawl will help start off the St.Paddy's day madness on March 14th. The crawl begins at 5pm, at registration point ,Tavern on Broad, where you can register from 5pm-10pm. Once registered, you will be given your BarCrawls.com wristband, cup, map and more. Enjoy the best specials with no cover! This Mugs 'N Hugs mini-crawl acts as a pre-game for the festivities to come, so make sure you don't miss out. Buy your tickets here.
For a day full of so many attractions, thousands of people will be showing up looking to get in on the party, so the earlier you arrive the better chance you have to get the full experience of ‘Shamrock-fest!’ Registration for the bar crawl runs from 12pm-7pm , and it is highly recommended that bookings are made in advance to avoid disappointment. See below for ticket details and contact info for any questions about Shamrock-fest!
Don’t miss out on the St. Patrick’s Day party to end all SPD parties, and join people from all over the world in the ultimate St. Paddy’s Day bash!
When: Saturday, March 15, 12pm
Where: Webster Hall, 125 E 11th St., New York, NY
Tickets & Info Call 212-255-4233
Did you ever wish there was a social media platform made just for going out? Perhaps an app that let's you watch live footage of ongoing shows and talk with the clubbers themselves? What about an app that allows your favorite performers to actually chat with you and broadcast their sets live? Well good news, “Hang w/” an app that’s available in the iTunes store and Google Play, does it all – and it’s free!
Constructed for socialites that want to get more from their club experience, Hang w/ lets you get an intimate look into your favorite people and places in real time. With plans to go global in the near future, Hang w/ creates an exciting interactive world for its users to access 24/7.
The app's creator, Andrew Maltin, took the time to give us an in-depth look at the app.
What provoked the idea to create Hang w/?
First and foremost wear green!
Accept everybody for who they are today.. Irish.
Get to your favorite bar early before the madness ensues
Take advantage of consuming green things today:
Show off your dancing skills
Work out.. well kind of.
Get your pets into the holiday spirit
Try not to be THAT drunk person
But if you do get that drunk just make sure you spend the 18th recovering in the best way possible
St. Patrick’s Day is one of America's most highly-anticipated holidays that connotes the color green and the consumption of 13 million pints of Guinness. This year, BarCrawls.com has joined forces with Uber to help observers of the holiday celebrate with no regrets. as long as your destination is within a $20 limit, after you you’re trying to drink your way through one of Joonbug’s mighty St. Paddy’s Day bar crawls, you are eligible to receive a free, on-demand ride to a destination of your choice using the promo code, "XX."
Saint Patrick's Day only comes once a year- and the Irish make sure you don't forget it! (Or forget it completely depending on how many green beers you've had) If you want to party as hard as a drunk Irishman, but still want to keep it safe on your SPD Bar Crawl, take a look at our official St.Patty's Day safety guide for all your green needs.
1. Eat a hearty meal and stay hydrated
Boston is a prime location to spend your Valentine’s weekend with that special someone. There are many intimate, trendy venues to sip and savor a scrumptious meal accompanied by tasty cocktails. The Boston Waterfront and Public Garden are both perfectly romantic settings to spend time together. With our creative and fun guide to this special weekend in Beantown, your Valentine will most certainly be feeling the love…and you’ll be looking wicked impressive!
Walk along the Charles River before sunset with a picnic basket filled with chocolate strawberries and a bottle of bubbly champagne to pop open. Pack up a couple of cozy wool blankets, snuggle up and enjoy your treats on one of the many docks right on the Charles. Be adventurous and rent Hubway bikes during the day and ride along the water, enjoying the scenic paths and romance of the Charles…set against a backdrop of bright blue, city solace and colorful sailboats.