Extra, extra, read all about it: the Fifth Annual Summer of Riesling by Terroir starts today! The season-long national extravaganza was founded by sommelier Paul Grieco, who has recently won the 2012 James Beard Award. Summer of Riesling evolved from an in-house celebration at Terroir in the East Village to a nationwide blowout. This year, the Riesling fueled events will take place at over 400 restaurants and wine bars across the country.
Each participating venue will be pouring three Rieslings by the glass for all 94 days of summer. During the month of July, two of the three Rieslings must be from Germany, paying tribute to the birthplace of the majority of the world's Riesling. Terroir is providing all participating venues with Summer of Riesling care packages, containing t-shirts, wine list inserts with fun Riesling facts (did you know that Riesling dates back as far as the 1300s?), and buckets of Riesling flair.
An array of Summer of Riesling events are already on the calendar, including:
- 31 Days of German Riesling Concert (July 24) aboard a boat named The Jewel that will set sail around New York Harbor
- Summer of Riesling dunk tank at San Francisco’s Outside Lands festival (August 10-12)
- Ode to Austria Festival in Chicago (August 17-19)
- A week-long New York City visit from Annika Strebel, the 2012 German Wine Queen
- 21 Riesling Dinners at restaurants around the U.S.
Check out all the participating venues near you!