Sushi is one of those foods that the amateur cook rarely tries to attempt at home. Besides the fact that procuring and safely storing a veritable cornucopia of unbelievably fresh seafood can sometimes present a financial strain, getting each element right - perfect grains of rice, perfectly toasted nori - is something that takes most sushi chefs years, if not decades, to accomplish. And then there are the mechanics of actually rolling it, something with which I've had some disastrous experience. It helps to have a professional on hand to help out with the intricacies, and lucklily for 6 of South Florida’s most noted foodies, they will have just that kind of help when they compete to present us with the most unique, best tasting sushi at the Foodies Show Heart charitable event next wednesday, February 13th at RA Sushi in South Miami.
Each foodie will be paired with one of RA’s sushi chefs in the competition and will be presenting their sushi creations from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM to a panel of the most discerning judges: us! Each attendant will receive one token to vote for what they think to be the best sushi roll, and at 9:00 PM, the contestant with the most tokens will have their roll featured on RA’s menu for 30 days and have a portion of the proceeds from the sale of their signature roll go towards the charity of their choice. Of course, it would be all to easy for a group of food experts to have weeks to plan a perfect roll, so RA has shaken things up by presenting a secret, seasonal ingredient that each contestant must incorporate into their roll - something that can really make or break even the most well-planned creation.
The participants and their causes are as follows:
- Lead Food & Spirits Reporter for Miami, Broward, and Palm Beach New Times, as well as a contributor to Food Network and Cooking Channel
- Tri County Humane Society
- A local foodie icon, Gassenheimer is a TV and radio personality, Miami Herald columnist, and award-winning author of 16 cookbooks including Flavorful: Great Diabetes Meals from Market to Table
- Camillus House
- Dining Critic at MIAMI Magazine, as well as a contributor to Food Network’s City Eats, Forbes.com, Gayot.com, and Southern Living
- Doctors Without Borders
- “Lunch with Lydia” columnist for The Miami Herald
- Pridelines Youth Services
- Editorial Director of MiamiPopMedia.com, longtime food writer for Ocean Drive Magazine, The Daily Beast, AOL, and Urban Daddy
- Mourning Family Foundation
- Miami Community Director at Yelp
- Year Up
The event takes place on Wednesday, February 13th, from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM at RA Sushi located at 5829 SW 73rd Street #4 in South Miami, FL 33142. (305) 341-0092
The event is free, although there is limited space. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.