Last night foodies from all corners of the 5 boroughs gathered together to mingle and nibble on the some of the city’s top eats to raise funds for Slow Food NYC at the Village Voice’s Sixth Annual Choice Eats at the 69th Regiment Armory. Joonbug, for one, should’ve went with a better plan instead of trying to eat everything in sight. We don’t recommend eating Liberian, brownies, ramen noodles, halibut ceviche, and sweet shrimp rolls in the same sitting but we absolutely don’t regret it either. In an otherwise impossible feat in a 3-hour time frame, Choice Eats allowed foodies to sample foods that may have been outside of their comfort zone and not within the reaches of their neighborhood.
Below is a list of our top favorite bites we noshed on last night at places we've been dying to try and some new eateries we've added to our foodie bucket list.
- Banana Leaf: Sri Lankan black pork curry with vegetable biriyani rice
- Swine: Country pate crostini with tin mustard
- Joe Doe: Buttermilk biscuit sandwich with honey butter and house breakfast-style sausage
- Yemen Café & Restaurant: Lamb haneez with basmati rice
- Allswell: Mini chicken and bacon pot pie
- Chinese Mirch: Spiced Tibetan momo dumplings
- Mexico Lindo: Tamale with mole poblano and butternut squash
- 606 R & D: Drunken poor man’s fondue with bread, carrot, and a dill pickle
- Kaia Wine Bar: Lamb tongue with goat cheese cream, arugula, and rhubarb-port dressing
- Brooklyn Brine: Hop pickles made using Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA (so perfect for a juicy cheese burger!)
We somehow even saved a tiny bit of room for dessert. Our favorite Choice Sweets were:
- Butter & Scotch: Mini boozy coffee cake cupcake with caramel bourbon frosting
- Del Posto: Almond Joy bastoncini
- Ample Hills Creamery: Salted Crack Ice Cream
If you missed out on the Sixth Annual Village Choice Eats, tickets are on sale now for the Village Voice’s second installment of the Choice Streets food truck event. On May 7th, the Village Voice will host over 25 of NYC’s most sought after food trucks on the Intrepid at Pier 86. Already signed up for the event are crowd favs, Souvlaki GR, Nuchas, Phil’s Steaks, Gorilla Cheese & Valducci’s Original Pizza. Keep checking their website for additional trucks.
Tickets for Choice Streets are $50 for VIP and $40 for GA.