Friday, September 20th, marks the start of a momentous occasion...the first day of New York Oyster Week! NYOW is a fun-filled celebrate of all things oyster. Oyster Week was founded by Kevin Joseph in order to celebrate the oyster and its role in the ecology, economy, and culture of our planet. Not many people know this, but oysters are good for more than just eating! NYOW works to raise awareness and funds for non-profits that work to protect and restore habitats in which oysters thrive. It's important to aide in oyster shell recovery, which helps with oyster reef restoration and the creation of new oyster beds, instead of throwing your shells into the trash. Additionally, our beloved city was actually built out of oysters! That's right, back in the day oysters were used as mortar and helped to build the amazing city we all know and love. So now it's time to give back to the creatures that we all hold dear to our hearts...er, mouths, and celebrate our favorite bicuspid.
A plethora of restaurants will be offering creative oyster-centric dishes, including but not limited to Atlantic grill, City Crab, Crave Fish Bar, Oceana, Grand Central Oyster Bar, and John Dory. Amazing oyster-ific events will be taking place throughout NYC every day from September 20th through 29th.
• Sept 20: London Lennie’s Oysterfest, 6-10pm in Queens, NY
• Sept 21: Stone Street Oyster Festival,12-6pm on Stone Street in NYC
• Sept 22: Chef Charlie Palmer’s 2nd Annual Oyster Social, 1-4pm at Aureole
• Sept 23 & 24: Shuckeasy presented by Bootlegger 21 Vodka, 6-9pm at a secret location
• Sept 25: Empire Oyster: A NY State of Food & Drink, 6-8pm & 8:30-10pm at Hudson Terrace
• Sept 28 & 29: Oystoberfest 2013, presented in partnership with Get Real Beer Week, NY, see site for times, at Alewife in NYC
• Sept 28: Grand Central Oyster Bar’s Oyster Frenzy presented by Blue Island Oyster Farms,12-4pm
• Sept 29: Oyster Volunteer Day, 12-5pm on Governors Island
• Sept 30: Long Island Oyster Showcase, 2-5pm at Sparkling Pointe on Long Island’s North Fork
Click here for more details on the events. Not only will there be more oysters then you know what to do with, tons of drinks and food pairings, but NYOW will also be hosting the single largest oyster shell recovery effort NYC has even seen. More than 50,000 oyster shells will be collected throughout the week, in partnership with New York Harbor School studens and Oyster Week volunteers. Want in? We don't blame you! Hurry up and get your tickets today!