If you are sick of vodka sodas and cosmos, this bubbly drink is the perfect solution to a boring drink crisis. You can make this for a girls night in or feature this as the “special” drink at a New Years Eve celebration. Your friends will love the fresh flavor and appreciate a more exciting drink. The best part is: you can make it the day before and then spend the evening of your party drinking the night away!
· 1/2 cup sugar
· 1/2 cup water
· 1 cup white grape juice
· 1 1/2 cups fresh grapefruit juice (preferably pink or ruby red)
· 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
· 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
· 1 cup dry white wine
· 1/4 cup Cognac or other brandy
· 1/2 cup packed mint leaves
· 1 navel orange, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
· 1 lime, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
· 1 lemon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
· 1 (750-ml) bottle Champagne or other sparkling white wine, chilled
Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring until sugar has dissolved, then transfer the syrup to a bowl and cool completely (or you can do a quick-chill by setting bowl in an ice bath and stirring occasionally until cool).
Stir together the juices, wine, Cognac, mint, fruit, and cooled syrup in a large pitcher. Cover the bowl or pitcher and let it cool in the fridge for about at least an hour (or longer).
Now you're ready to drink until the new year!