When the day comes to an end and your ready to settle in and kick off your shoes...just stop. Just stop and remember that beyond your door lies endless opportunities, especially in music. New Yorker's are spoiled and we aren't afraid to admit it. Our biggest one-up from every other city is probably the dynamic music scene that infultrates through just about every borough. No matter what night of the week it is you can opt to get your nightly music fix with these local stand out's that provide musical selections to die for. With that said, check out our Top 5 local DJ's to check out this fall.
1. The Jane Doze: This female mashup/remix/DJ duo has been gaining a lot of traction due to their debut mixtape, "Girls Talk." They have a wide and intermixed style and you can bet your ass you'll hear a song from them that you haven't heard in years. And, it will be the best moment ever. They've spun at major events like the the NYLON x True Religion Lollapalooza party to Fashion's Night out and have an upcoming show at Webster Hall with fellow mash-up enthusiast, 3LAU. Get tickets here and stay tuned for their follow up mixtape!
2. DJ Sam French: A masterful open-format DJ, this 22-year-old knows how to work a crowd. You can catch him spinning almost five nights a week at Avenue, SL, and 1OAK. While juggling his busy DJ scehdule, he's also a full-time student at Colombia and is currently working with Banditz Tattoo & Salon out of LA on their new record collective, Black Banditz Records.
3. DJ Lola Langusta: Coming off a fresh residency at the Montauk Beach House this summer, you can find Lola spinning a multi- dimensional soundtrack of soul, funk, rock, nu- disco, indie, hip-hop, and electro- pop. She has DJ'd parties for Interview magazine,the Mondrian Soho, and The Electric Room at the Dream Hotel. Catch her every Friday at the new Leadbelly Bar in LES, on Wednesday, Oct. 10th at the Dennis Basso Presentation at Kleinfeld and in December at the Valentino and Interview Magazine party at Art Basal Miami. Currently, she is working along side 4am DJ Artist Management Group.
4. Sir Shorty: Sir Shorty’s been collecting music for most of his life. His collection is just as diverse and eclectic as his often dubbed best dressed DJ style, both heavily influenced by the 60s and 70s plus cool modern elements combined with a whole lot of soul. You can find Shorty regularly spinning (preferably vinyl) at Gramercy Hotel’s Rose Bar on Tuesday’s and Hotel Chantelle’s rooftop on Friday nights. Other spots the spinster’s hit have included 60 Thompson Hotel, Gansevoort Hotel, and The Hotel on Rivington. This Saturday marks his final seasonal stint at The Yard at Soho Grand. Be there from 7 – 11 p.m. to see him on deck under the NYC sky.
5. DJ PHRESH: Also a member of the 4am family, DJ Phresh is a turntablist who does everything from open format to house only venues. He just signed on with Haley Binn (wife of Jason Binn, Dujour Mag) to be the event DJ for her new company, LivTru Collective and is the resident DJ at STK Midtown's Vegas style dinner party, Magnum Mondays. Phresh has spun alongside Steve Angello and Manufactured Superstars. Watch out for his first single to be released at the end of October.